Made with Grit
41: From bootstrapped to venture-funded w/ Derek Homann
Landon catches up with Derek Homann (Workshop) about going from a bootstrapped business (and exit) to going the venture-backed path with his new startup. Derek goes into some of their marketing strategies that are driving 70 email submissions a day.
- After bootstrapping Median, why go venture-backed with Workshop?
- Derek talks about their $3mm seed
- Easier to raise after some wins
- What has been different about having capital from the start?
- Derek talks about some of the marketing strategies that are helping them build up a large following in the HR space
- Acquired a newsletter for $6k
- Running ads that point to templates accessed by filling out an email form